Travel is required as this position covers Hanna Medical Clinic, Consort Medical Clinic, and Coronation Medical Clinic
The Mental Health Counsellor (MHC) will enhance primary care through the provision of assessment, counseling interventions, effective coordination/management, and referral to community services as well as facilitating cutting edge group programs. The MHC practices in partnership with the patients and their PCN family physicians, other health care providers, and community agencies. The role requires the development of relationships and programs founded on best practice and knowledge of the community.
Role Accountabilities and Responsibilities
· Promotes an understanding of the Primary Care Network service and benefits, for all stakeholders as part of the advancement of enhanced primary care
· Supportive of an organizational culture which fosters relationships and multi-disciplinary collaboration/teamwork
· Under direction of management participates in the evaluation process based on best practice
· Acts as a resource for other team members
· Demonstrates an awareness of policies and procedures through application of these policies and procedures as required
Clinical Service Provision:
· Assesses patients and provides brief counseling up to six sessions and referral as needed
· Practices in partnership with the patients and their PCN family physician(s), other health care professionals and community agencies.
· Uses best practice standards in the provision of patient care and adheres to clinical care guidelines established by professional regulatory body
· Promotes wellness of overall health
· Provides education opportunities to patients, families, physicians, and other PCN service providers as required
· Facilitates the referral process between PCN physicians and Alberta Health Services, social service agencies and other community resources
· Ongoing participation in the development of PCN resource library
· Ongoing participation in the development of best practices of PCN mental health team
· Develops and sustains effective relationships with health service partners to facilitate continuity and consistency of care
· Facilitates resource awareness between PCN physicians and AHS programs to promote continuity of patient care
· Works with a dynamic inter-professional health care team to facilitate group programing.
· Ensures maintenance of accurate records that are aligned with current practice guidelines and recorded within the patient chart
· Provides weekly encounter reports to PCN to meet PCI program accountability requirements
· Provides outcome reporting as directed
Qualifications and Experience
· 2-3 years’ experience working in community-based mental health service provision
· Registered Psychologist/Master of Social Work (with psychosocial intervention)/Master of Arts in Counselling
· Licensed with Professional regulatory body in Alberta
· Current and valid driver’s license
· Current CPR certification
· Current criminal record check
The Mental Health Counsellor:
· treats everyone with respect and dignity
· works collaboratively with patients and the health care team
· is committed to excellence and innovation
· is able to adapt and develop new skills and applied practice
· is comfortable working independently
· values relationships
· is able to work effectively in a highly complex, unstructured, and dynamic environment
· demonstrates problem-solving skills and initiative
· is flexible
*must provide proof of certification annually*
Physical requirements and Working Conditions
· Computer use is required and attention to ergonomics is necessary.
· All employees of Big Country PCN are required to wear personal protective equipment as needed and report substandard workplace conditions or practices. Employees must also report to work alert and unimpaired, and report any work-related injury promptly.
· All Big Country PCN employees have the ability to not provide services if they reasonably assess a situation to be unsafe or pose an unacceptable level of risk. All unsafe or high-risk situations should be reported promptly to the Executive Director.